The guideline includes recommendations for the following:
- Surveillance of head and neck cancer recurrence;
- Screening for the early detection of second primary cancers;
- Assessment and management of potential physical and psychosocial long-term and late effects of head and neck cancer and its treatment;
- Health promotion strategies for nutrition, physical activity, and tobacco cessation; and
- Key elements of care coordination, including survivorship care plans, communication with other providers, and the inclusion of caregivers.
The guidelines were developed through the National Cancer Survivorship Resource Center and funded through the Centers for Disease Control.