- Initial evaluation;
- Clinical and ultrasound criteria for fine-needle aspiration biopsy;
- Interpretation of fine needle aspiration biopsy results;
- Use of molecular markers; and
- Management of benign thyroid nodules.
Revised guidelines for initial thyroid cancer management include recommendations on:
- Screening for thyroid cancer;
- Staging and risk assessment;
- Surgical management;
- Radioiodine remnant ablation and therapy; and
- Thyrotropin suppression therapy using levothyroxine.
Revised guidelines for long-term differentiated thyroid cancer management include recommendations on:
- Surveillance for recurrent disease using imaging and serum thyroglobulin;
- Thyroid hormone therapy;
- Management of recurrent and metastatic disease; and
- Consideration for clinical trials and targeted therapy.
In creating the new version, the guideline panel had complete editorial independence from the ATA. The specific clinical questions addressed in the guidelines were based on prior versions of the guidelines, stakeholder input, and input from task force members; published English-language articles on adult patients were eligible for inclusion.