Given the importance of these issues, the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, and the American Rhinologic Society have organized a half-day seminar focusing on the unified airway concept as it affects the practice and direction of otolaryngology. A series of panels, case presentations, and lectures will be presented focusing on the comprehensive treatment of patients with respiratory disease. Topics have been selected to focus on surgical rhinology, medical rhinology, allergy, and asthma, highlighting the interdependency of involved treatment modalities. The session will be held on Monday, September 17, 2007, and will be available to anyone who has registered for any of the participating professional society meetings. It is our collective hope that this will set the stage for advances in the field of rhinology and allergy, and will lead to increasing improvements in patient care.
Explore This IssueAugust 2007
- Krouse JH, Brown RW, Fineman SM, et al. Asthma and the unified airway. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007;136:S75-S106.
- Corren J. Allergic rhinitis and asthma: how important is the link. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1997;99:S781-S786.
- Huovinen E, Kaprio J, Laitinen LA, et al. Incidence and prevalence of asthma amon adult Finnish men and women of the Finnish twin cohort from 1975 to 1990, and their relation to hay fever and chronic bronchitis. Chest 1999;115:928-36.
- Guerra S, Sherrill DL, Martinez FD, et al. Rhinitis as an independent risk factor for adult-onset asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2002;109;419-25.
- Annesi-Maesaano I. Epidemiological evidence of the occurance of rhinitis and sinusitis in asthmatics. Allergy 1999;54:7-13.
- Hamilos D. Chronic sinusitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000;106:213-27.
- Senior B, Kennedy DW, Tanabodee J. Long-term impact of functional endoscopic sinus surgery on asthma. Allergy 1999;57:136-40.
- Gutman M, Torres A, Keen KJ, et al. Prevalence of allergy in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004;130:545-52.
- National Asthma Education and Prevention Program (NAEPP). Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. National Asthma Education Program. Expert Panel Report. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1991;88:425-534.
- Benninger MS, Ferguson BJ, Hadley JA, et al. Adult chronic rhinosinusitis: definitions, diagnosis, epidemiology, and pathophysiology. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003;129(3 Suppl):S1-S32.
- Bachert C, Vignola M, Gavaert P, et al. Allergic rhinitis, rhinosinusitis, and asthma: one airway disease. Immunol Allergy Clin N Am 2004;24:19-43.
- Lemanske RF, Busse WW. Asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003;111:S502-S519.
- Batra P, Kern R. Tripathi A, et al. Outcome analysis of endoscopic sinus surfery in patients with nasal polyps and asthma. Laryngoscope 2003;113:1703-6.
- Stelmach R, do Patrocinio T, Nunes M, et al. Effect of treating allergic rhinitis with corticosteroids in patients with mild to moderate persistent asthma. Chest 2005;128:3140-7.
- Durham SR, Walker SM, Varga EM, et al. Long-term clinical efficacy of grass-pollen immunotherapy. N Engl J Med 1999;341:468-75.
©2007 The Triological Society