The third conclusion is, perhaps, the most important. It is not too late. We are poised to have an impact. It is true that the ship of status quo turns slowly toward inclusion, but the first step is being purposeful about navigating in a new direction. We can follow the leads taken in general surgery, vascular surgery, geriatric medicine and a host of other medical disciplines. Specifically, neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery have embraced diversity, and census data prove that these two fields are trending toward increased cultural diversity in their respective workforces.8 We can also learn from business models that have repeatedly shown that a diverse team handles situations more effectively and that diversity in the workforce is a benefit rather than an imposition.9 Hopefully, the AAO-HNS, along with other societies and otolaryngology educator organizations, can take the steps and expend the energy necessary to create meaningful change.
Explore This IssueSeptember 2010
- AAMC FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data [database]. Washington, D.C.: Association of American Medical Colleges; 2006. Updated March 16, 2006.
- AMA Physician Masterfile [database]. Chicago, Ill.: American Medical Association; 2006.
- AAMC ERAS [database]. Washington, D.C.: Association of American Medical Colleges; 2009. Updated November 19, 2009.
- Keller AP Jr. Otolaryngology–head and neck surgery: retrospective and prospective view. South Med J. 1983;76(9):1158-1162.
- Heron SL, Lovell EO, Wang E, et al. Promoting diversity in emergency medicine: summary recommendations from the 2008 Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors (CORD) Academic Assembly Diversity Workgroup. Acad Emerg Med. 2009;16(5):450-453.
- Kane K, Rosero EB, Clagett GP, et al. Trends in workforce diversity in vascular surgery programs in the United States. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49(6):1514-1519.
- Gebhardt MC. Improving diversity in orthopaedic residency programs. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2007;15 Suppl 1:S49-S50.
- Andriole DA, Jeffe DB, Schechtman KB. Is surgical workforce diversity increasing? J Am Coll Surg. 2007;204(3):469-477.
- Miller EK. Utilizing the rich resources of a diverse workplace. Physician Exec. 1993;19(5):18-21.