There are valid reasons for this surgery, said Dr. Rosenfeld, who concluded, I always tell my residents that the best tonsillectomy is one that is prudently avoided.
Explore This IssueDecember 2009
- Paradise JL, Bluestone CD, Bachman RZ, et al. Efficacy of tonsillectomy for recurrent throat infection in severely affected children. Results of parallel randomized and nonrandomized clinical trials. N Engl J Med 1984;310:674-83.
- Burton MJ, Glasziou PP. Tonsillectomy or adeno-tonsillectomy versus non-surgical treatment for chronic/recurrent acute tonsillitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;1:DC001802.
- Burton MJ, Doree C. Coblation versus other surgical techniques for tonsillectomy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007;3:CD004619.
- Czarnetzki E, Elia N, Lysakowski C, et al. Dexamethasone and risk of nausea and vomiting and postoperative bleeding after tonsillectomy in children: a randomized trial. JAMA 2008;300:2621-30.
- Leff B, Finucane TE. Gizmo idolatry. JAMA 2008;299:1830-2.
©2009 The Triological Society